Weekly Update April 12, 2019

What’s New in the OMC Family:

Last week, we went on beautiful field trip hike with Professor Danza of Oxnard College.

Please check out the pictures and read all about it in our student news section.

English- In English this week, students began reading the Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet. They also wrote essays that tied the opening scene to a choice article from Newsela.  Students chose articles about Harsh Parenting, Restorative Justice, and A study that showed that teens who expected to die young were more likely to commit crimes. The beautiful weather allowed writing groups to meet outside!

AVID: Mrs. Guthrie had the opportunity to take 6 AVID students to the Youth Truth Panel at the District Office this week. The Griffins met with students and administrators from around the district to analyze the data from a February survey. Our students gave valuable input to the superintendent and other district staff about how to improve our instructional practices, especially in the area of college and career readiness. The Griffins stepped up as 9th grade leaders in the effort toward powerful futures for every student and we are grateful to the district for encouraging our students to take this step.

ASB: Our student body started an exciting adventure with Gabe Teran from the Ventura County Office of Education and Friday Night Live! Our students are working with him to design a project for “ positive and healthy youth development, which engages youth as active leaders and resources in their communities”. This project comes with funding so that our students can make their projects come alive!

Math: We have been working on a unit of Geometry. The students have created amazing geometric construction projects, combining geometry concepts and art into some beautiful displays. We have also been trying our hands at moving math notes into the digital realm. Interactive notebooks on rotations and rotational symmetry inspired some extraordinarily interactive pages, including videos, explaining concepts in a Slides presentation. Next stop, triangles!

Medical Terminology: Students are learning how our 5 senses impact our daily activities.

Principal’s Message: ACSA Legislative Action Day was a wonderful opportunity to support education including more Special Education Funding and funds to support Students mental Health.  Additionally I had the opportunity to particpate in speaker series with updates in accountability model and LCFF.  Six of our “GRIFFIN”  students particpated in the review of the Youth Truth survey this Tuesday at the district office.  Thanks to Carrie Wolf for providing this wonderful opportunity to our students.  Some of our students presented at the LCAP meeting this Thursday.  On Tuesday we met with School Site Council, the results of the Youth Truth Family Survey were reviewed and the priorities for next year were reviewed to ensure that our students are receiving the services needed.  Our faculty and staff met this Wednesday with Dr. Deleon, it was wonderful to have this opportunity and our staff felt that their concerns were heard and it is great to get the support of our superintendent.  On Thursday I participated in the LCAP meeting and enjoyed the students presentations.  Go Griffins!