Weekly Update May 10, 2019

What’s New in the OMC Family:

English:

In English, the Griffins finished Act 3 of the Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet this week. As they read, students took focused notes, which are part of a cross-curricular effort to meet school-wide learning objectives for study skills and systems of organization. Students also checked-in with their mastery trackers this week to reflect on their proximity to meeting the key English standards of this unit and strategize for ending the year with success.  

AVID:

In AVID this week, students took a leadership role in the district, by conducting the first student-led #OUStuVoice Twitter Chat! The Griffins posed questions about school safety to students throughout the district. Then, OMCHS students interacted with students and staff from other school sites to follow up with questions and responses! We are proud of students’ proactive, solutions-oriented responses to the topic and our students appreciated adults at the District Office supporting them in their effort! They are doing a fantasitc job advocating for themselves and others! We would like to give a special thank you Reina Bejerano and Jay Sorenson for listening and amplifying student voices!

Yearbook Update:

The student-created google slides yearbook is almost finished! We will provide an electronic PDF copy to every student for free! We will also provide students with a link to buy a softcover printed yearbook online for approximately $20 or a hardcover printed book for approximately $35. The book will be about 70 pages. There will be no sales directly at school. Here is a sneak peek of our work in progress:

Counseling:

Last Friday our counselor presented to the students in AVID and helped them create a californiacolleges.edu account. The students were able to learn about the various resources available on the website, and particularly explored the “Career Exploration” section of the website that day. The students completed an interest profiler and learned about careers that match their interests. 

Principal’s Message:

This week I met with Oxnard College representatives to review next steps of our CCAP agreement.  We discussed meeting with Administration at HHS and CIHS to review the schools’ requests for DE classes.  I also met with Lieutenant Romero from OC to review the plan for Active Assailant Drill that was conducted on May 9.  I participated in the Principal’s meeting that was held this last Monday.  Dr. McCoy provided complete information on the LCAP budget and the allocation of all funds.  I presented to parents at Haydock Jr. High during their ELAC meeting about OMCHS this Monday.  On Tuesday I presented to Records and Attendance Clerks information on Summer School.  Later on I participated in the Employee of the Year selection meeting hosted by Dr. Tresvant.  Thursday I met with Assistant Principals in charge of Summer School and Administrative Interns to review Summer School procedures.  Our last School Site Council meeting was held this Thursday, we had good parent participation.  We  reviewed the site LCAP priorities and budget and the WASC final recommendations after our WASC visit.  To celebrate teachers appreciation week we provided our teachers with breakfast, and other goodies every day this week.  Our teachers do so much for our “GRIFFINS” and this was an opportunity to say Thanks!.  Our students took their first final in one of their college classes this week and will be taking their second final next week.  OMCHS students will have 8 college units at the end of this year.  They are already registered to take a summer school class with OC and will be taking two college classes this Fall.  “GO GRIFFINS”