Welcome to the first weekly update of the 2021-2022 school year! Each Friday, the faculty and staff will update our community on the important events and news around campus as well as spotlight the work of one teacher or counselor. Check our website to keep up with the OMC family! On behalf of the whole faculty, welcome to the new school year. We are all so glad to see students back on campus learning and thriving!
- During the week of August 2nd-6th, OMC held our Preview Week to welcome students back to campus. It was a fun week of team building and re-orienting to campus.
- Back to School Night was Thursday, September 2nd. Thank you to everyone who attended! We had a lovely evening and we look forward to continuing the partnership with families and the community to support all of our Griffins!
- COVID testing will be every Wednesday on campus from 11am-12pm
- OUHSD and OMC are making the PSAT/NMSQT available to all 11th grade students. The test will be proctored on October 13th during the school day. Please see Parent Square for more details.
- On Friday, September 3rd, OMC students had the opportunity to work with community partners, BRITE and Health Corp in a variety of fun and engaging activities to inspire health and advocacy.
Spotlight: Mrs. Guthrie, English Teacher and Club Advisor
English 89: 9th graders are studying rhetoric this quarter. They are learning to read mentor texts closely and then analyze the moves writers make to move an audience. Every 2 weeks, students are implementing those techniques into their own arguments with a collaborative peer-review and teacher feedback structure. We are looking forward to seeing how they grow as readers and writers!
English 99: 10th graders are studying poetry during quarter 1. Students are learning to analyze the work of professional poets and they are also writing their own poetry with attention to structure, imagery, juxtaposition, and other poetic devices. Their creativity, collaboration, and critical thinking skills have been on full display already!
Introduction to College Composition: 11th graders have been practicing reading and writing skills in this support class that runs parallel to English 101 at Oxnard College. They have been continuing in their development of style, voice, and research. We are so proud of their growth as writers!
Mobile Library: The Ventura County Library Mobile Library will be on the OMC campus every 4th Friday of the month at lunch time to support our students as readers. This is a free community service. During the first visit, we had over 20 students get new library cards and 80 books checked out!
Wellness Club: The Wellness Club meets every first and third of each month in Mrs. Guthrie’s room at lunch time. We focus on meditation, journaling, mental health awareness initiatives, and other social emotional support. Everyone is welcome!
Art Club: The Art Club will begin meeting soon in Mrs. Guthrie’s room. This club brings together students who are interested in all kinds of art to share in a creative community. All are welcome!
Questions or Comments for Mrs. Guthrie? Emily.Guthrie@oxnardunion.org